October 11, 2009

This week's persecuted church: China
On September 13, around 400 uniformed police and civilians carrying shovels, batons, bricks, iron hooks, and other weapons beat members of the church who were sleeping at the nearly finished factory building used as a worship site. China Aid President said, "Military police now guard the building and the surrounding areas around the clock. More than 30 daughter churches in nearby townships have been prohibited from gathering to worship in their churches and homes." Nine church leaders were arrested without a warrant and held in a secret location. Other church leaders and members have been placed under house arrest and are now under constant surveillance. Local authorities confiscated all church computers, TVs and other valuables as "illegal materials." Government-led mobs attacked and took money, Bibles, clothes, and cell phones, among other items.This morning, North Korea took over South Korea in the middle of a baseball game. All South Koreans were required to wear orange jumpsuits in the prison camps. We all lined up to get either our throats or wrists slit. My executioner didn't slit my wrists deep enough, and I found myself running. At this point, I ran out to an opening where other prisoners were held. There was some disruption and many started running frantically. I saw the front gate and saw one young boy following right behind me. I held out my hand to help him run faster but decided against it fearing that he would slow me down. I climbed over the wooden fence but never saw the boy make it over. At this point, the dream turned black and white. I can't believe I didn't help the boy escape with me. So this is what it must feel like to be a North Korean. Intense.Yesterday, I started receiving free counseling from a seminary student who is under training. Whenever I watched scenes of movies or television shows where people went into to talk to a therapist or counselor, I thought it would be so cool to be able to talk about all of your problems and have someone analyze your issues. But as soon as we started our session, I didn't know what to say. It's all so one-sided. I talk. She listens. She asks questions. I talk some more. The focus is all on me. I'm so used to having reciprocation or just listening to other people talk. But these counseling sessions are all just for me and about me. I wonder what my counselor thinks of me. If anyone wants free counseling, I can hook you up with that. It's pretty cool actually.Lately, I've been thinking a lot about church. I go through different seasons with our ministry. These days, church feels like a wasteland. An utterly dry desert. I hear about five people singing. About two or three people clapping. The sermons feel long. 75% of the congregation disappears right after the benediction. I can't remember the last time we had small groups. A handful of regulars are no longer regular. In a nutshell, our church is blatantly imperfect. If I were a newcomer, I'd say that this church sucks.

But today, we unexpectedly had communion. And as I was partaking in the elements, I was reminded that Christ lived and died for this imperfect church. Even though the people are half-hearted and have little or no joy in the benefits of our salvation, Christ still really loves and delights in his church. Some day, the bride will be pure and blameless. But when, God, when?
On the ground floor of my building, sometimes I can hear a band playing music when I'm in the bathroom. They sound like your typical garage band with their own unique vocals and songs. Last night, I downloaded this one album by an indie group called Wounded Fly. And would you believe it? It turns out that Wounded Fly practices in my building!
"I spend most of my time with non-christians..."
-Tseggy

Looks like Joe and I are going back to Mongolia this winter!

Thought of the Day: Argentina
Song of the Day: Wounded Fly-So Sad Song

No comments: