May 27, 2009

I was telling one of my students that I thought that he lived in the best place in Korea. Since he lives in Mokdong's Hyperion, he has a department store, two major movie theaters, Emart + Homeplus, a park right across the street with the best outdoor basketball courts in all of Seoul, a very nice elementary school right next to that park, an ice skating rink, and a freakin' BASEBALL STADIUM (all within walking distance)!!!

So what did we do for class? We randomly decided to check out the baseball stadium! Fortunately, we were able to get in for free and check out the high school semi finals tied at the 9th inning! The game actually got postponed in the middle of the 12th because they had to shut the stadium down by 11.

So what did we do for class the next day? We randomly decided to check out the baseball stadium again! Amazingly enough, we got in again and made it right in time for the high school world series in the 9th inning! It was crazy cause the score was 5:3 with the bases loaded and only one out.
As you can see, the batter up was actually a very holy person who was praying for the well-being of the other team. Yeah right. It was intense stuff.


It's amazing to see how Koreans are so into baseball ever since WBC. Before, you'd only see kids playing soccer or badminton in the parks. Now you can see kids literally having a baseball game with bases and everything. I even see kids bring their baseball gloves and bat to school to play during lunch or after school! It makes me happy whenever I see things like that.

So what started off as good father-son bonding has actually turned into a challenge. I simply cannot beat my dad. I really thought to myself...
"Ok, he's just getting the cards tonight."
"Ok, he's just on a roll."
"Ok, I'll beat him tomorrow."
"Ok, he's just got a super lucky streak."
I really don't understand it. The one night where I came up, I only won 400won. The other nights, he took my green bills. I know I'm not that good or anything, but I really don't think I suck that much either. 타짜. That's the only explanation.

Thought of the Day: Mongolia culture/history
Song of the Day: KRS One-Sound Of Da Police

No comments: