May 31, 2009

If you haven't heard from me already, I'm going on a short mission trip to Mongolia this summer. I turned in my deposit this morning, so I'm officially committed. I wasn't that excited about it at first, but watching footage of last year's team and doing some research really sparked something in my heart recently. It will be my first time learning a completely new language with very limited English speakers in that country. As far as I can tell, Mongolian is like no language I have ever encountered.

So why am I going on this mission trip? I think the biggest reason is that I want to see how God is working in different countries and cultures. I've come to love books and movies that show me more of the world outside of California or Seoul. I love not only seeing the struggles but the fruit that is present all throughout the various cities, countries, and continents in the world. That's why I loved movies like "City of God" or "Blood Diamond." That's why I recommend books like "Life of Pi" or "Kite Runner." You gotta know what's going on in the world around you in order to make an impact around "the world around you." I want to be a part of finishing the enormous jigsaw puzzle that is so scattered and broken.

But as for the world around me right now, former Korean president, 노무현, has been a big issue in the lives of many Koreans. People are really upset about his death and perhaps even more upset with the current president. I think it's really interesting how much care and concern people show after his death compared to his time when he was alive. As Jae told me, "If he hadn't committed suicide, he would have just gone down in history as just another Korean president." It kind of reminded me of our hiphop leaders, Biggie and Tupac, who were gunned down yet sold millions of records subsequent to their umtimely deaths. People are always glorified AFTER their death.

I don't know much about Korean politics or history, but it fascinates me just how affected people were by one man's death. Many people saw him as a great symbol or model of a leader. He was "different" from all the other presidents. He didn't deserve whatever it was that led him to his suicide. He was an honest man. He was a good man.

Perhaps 노무현 was. But so was Moses. And David. And Solomon. And all the other leaders that the Old Testament talks about. But one thing we can see time and time again is that these "good" leaders ultimately pointed to the perfect leader. There have been so many good people who stood for great and wonderful things, but they eventually died and were eventually forgotten. We should rest assure that our true leader not only died but rose again and will never be forgotten. Korea, find peace in your true president.

Thought of the Day: Kiss the girl!
Song of the Day: Wu-Tang Clan-Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off)

No comments: