March 6, 2011

Church Challenges


We finished a 10 week Bible Study on finances today at our church. I wasn't expecting that much in the beginning, but it turned out to be really good. I've already shared with a number of people that I was so surprised to learn how much the Bible opposes debt and how we are supposed to pay it off as soon as possible. Debt is essentially bondage, and bondage is something that displeases the Lord. Growing up as an American, I saw debt as something common and regular, especially with school loans and credit card bills.

According to a CNN article that I read, "many Americans follow the same pattern: work hard in high school, go to college, accrue a load of debt and get a job right away to work it off." And as I grew up in the same pattern, I was very lax with paying off my school loans all these years. But I have now decided to have a fixed spending/saving plan that will allow me to be debt-free
(assuming that I maintain my current income) before I turn 30...American age. That means limiting my weekly spending to 50,000won. I wonder if I'll end up losing weight this way. I think it's a healthy challenge.
Another challenge that I have brought upon myself is to learn how to pray in Korean. I always believed that this was the ultimate test of how good a person's Korean was. Not that this will finally turn me into a fluent speaker or anything, but I felt so humbled after my Korean teacher asked me to pray in Korean for our class. I. Sounded. SO. STUPID. Fortunately, we had a private class today. But some time this week, I'm going to actually ask my mom to teach me how to pray in my mother tongue (no pun intended). No more of this "God Thank you Amen" stuff. Man, just the thought of learning is burdensome.

Thought of the Day: Pastor Samuel
Song of the Day: Tony Rich Project-Nobody Knows It But Me

No comments: