November 22, 2010

Teaching on Preaching

A while back when I first started listening to Tim Keller, I found a podcast on Christ-centered preaching that had a series of talks by him and Edmund Clowney. Somehow, I forgot about it and just looked for other things to listen to. But several weeks ago, a Westminster seminarian reintroduced it to me by chance, and I started listening to it today.

I never knew I could be so interested in talks on HOW to preach. I never intend to be a pastor let alone preach a sermon, but I am absolutely fascinated by these lectures and discussions. They describe everything that I look for in a sermon and also share many examples of how to deliver a "good" sermon. I'm even amazed by the challenging questions that the students ask during the Q&A time and realize I'm not as nerdy as I thought I was. One of them even used the word, "corollary," a few times, and I realized that I had never used that word in my life (b/c I didn't know what it meant). Are you looking up dictionary.com right now too? =D

One humbling quote that that seminary friend once shared with me was a quote by Martyn Lloyd Jones: "I can forgive a man for a bad sermon, I can forgive the preacher almost anything if he gives me a sense of God, if he gives me something for my soul, if he gives me the sense that, though he is inadequate himself, he is handling something which is very great and very glorious, if he gives me some dim glimpse of the majesty and the glory of God, the love of Christ my Saviour, and the magnificence of the Gospel. If he does that I am his debtor, and I am profoundly grateful to him."

For all you pharisees out there, join me in loving faithful preaching that always points to Christ but also learning to love our inadequate preachers who are used and loved by God. Less complaining, more praying.

Thought of the Day: Bicycle lock
Song of the Day: Son Dambi & 4Minute-Amoled

No comments: