May 9, 2010

Sunday Surprises


Last year, when Sang shared about how he struggled with spending too much time on nfl.com, I didn't really understand what he was talking about. But after recently discovering nba.com and following the highlights of every playoff game this season, I am now able to sympathize with Sang. I wouldn't say that I struggle with spending too much time on it, but it really does make time seem non-existent.

Man, I really miss watching basketball games with my brother though. I remember being in my room during March Madness and suddenly hear him screaming "OOOH!" in the living room while holding his cheeks in his hands. "Dude, Phil, you just missed the craziest shot!" It was so funny cause his reactions were always so explosive. Absolutely silent for a few minutes and then suddenly, "OOOH MY!" Haha. I think he gets it from my mom. She's hilarious when she gets all surprised and laughs by herself.

Speaking of surprises, Ugi unexpectedly came to Korea a few days ago, so he visited our church today. It was so good seeing him again that I'm now struggling with temptations to go to Mongolia again this summer. But alas, I know that it would not be financially wise for me or my family. Oh, money. Why can't you just grow in my wallet?

Today, at church, we sang the hymn, "I'd Rather Have Jesus."
  1. I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
    I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
    I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
    I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand
    • Refrain:
      Than to be the king of a vast domain,
      Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
      I’d rather have Jesus than anything
      This world affords today.
  2. I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
    I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
    I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
    I’d rather be true to His holy name
  3. He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
    He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
    He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
    I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead
The thing that moved me about this hymn was that I realized that I often would rather NOT have Jesus or be faithful to Him. I'm always chasing after gold and silver while seeking applause and fame. I really would rather be held in sin's dread sway. But the amazing thing is that God made it possible for me to even "rather have Jesus." After singing this song and listening to Mike read Romans 8:1, the floodgates opened and I remembered what it felt like to worship again. Praise leaders, please sing more hymns!

Thought of the Day: Ugi
Song of the Day: Jars Of Clay-God Will Lift Up Your Head

1 comment:

elisa said...

hmmm those hymn lyrics made me think too. thanks for the post, phil!