May 6, 2010

Royal Spoil

Today is the day after Children's Day. For some reason, this holiday was more outstanding to me this year compared to any other year. Not only was every single stadium in Korea completely sold out and filled with kids, but it really felt like a holiday to me this time. Anyway, I asked all of my students what they got for Children's Day and here were some responses.

4th grader
Me: What did you get for Children's Day?
Joshua: iPad.
Me: I thought that was for your dad.
Joshua: No. It's mine, but I'm sharing it with my brother.
Me: That's a really nice gift!
Joshua: Yeah, my friend only got an iPhone.
Me: (How unfortunate)

6th grader
Me: What did you get for Children's Day?
범주: This (shows me PSP Go).
Me: How is this different from the PSP?
범주: I don't know.
Me: Then why did you get it?
범주: I don't know.
Me: What did your brother get?
범주: This (shows me PSP Lite).
Me: Don't you guys already have a PSP?
범주: Yes, but it's broken. See? (turns on old PSP). Hey, it works!
Me: (Can I have it?)These conversations remind me of the scenes from The Blind Side when Sandra Bullock buys all those nice things for Big Mike...only my kids kinda aren't poor. But even as I was watching those scenes or seeing the real life versions through my students, I couldn't help but wonder what kind of effect this all has on the recipients. It's not like they're particularly obedient or diligent either. In fact, these kids owe their parents some outstanding grades and behavior, which is the empty promise they make every birthday and Christmas as well.

If you're feeling the same injustice I've been feeling, then you've also joined me in being the older brother of the prodigal son. As soon as I said, "I deserve..." I just shot myself in the foot and made myself deserve the condemnation of a self-righteous works-based man. If you're poor, don't hate on the rich. If you're rich, don't hate on the poor. Cause when it comes down to it, we all were the poorest people who have been taken into the house of the richest person who ever lived and have become rich just like him.

Besides, I don't really need that PSP. I don't even like video games.

Thought of the Day: "Roses are red. Violets are blue. Whatever"
Song of the Day: Lala Sweet-good bye

No comments: