March 28, 2010

2NE6

"It's his poker face and his analytical response to personal problems that can put him in the doghouse. She's crying as she talks about what's wrong with the relationship, and instead of hugging her, his mind is racing to find a way to resolve the problem as soon as possible. With practice and because of the way their brains are wired, men use their analytical brain structures, not their emotional ones, to find a solution.

They enjoy this advantage, but women often take affront to it. When you're telling your husband your problem and he tries to solve it instead of hearing you out, you may think he's being insensitive. But that's not what's going on in his brain. He's working to solve the problem so he can relieve your pain as quickly as possible. Not because he doesn't care or doesn't want to listen, but because he loves you."

This was in a CNN article on male brains written by a woman. I was so encouraged to read this quote because it summed up so well many of my own thought processes that I have whenever I am trying to encourage or comfort a female friend. I first learned about this phenomenon from one of my psych professors who used her own relationship with her husband as an example. Guys want to solve problems while girls just want to be listened to. There's a lot of potential for some ugly clashes with that. I know I've had one too many in my time.

I feel like it's especially harder for me since I didn't grow up with any sisters. I hate how insensitive I can be with girls because I often don't know what insensitive even is. I don't know when my teasing has gone too far until it's too late. I don't know how thick (or thin) a girl's skin is until I end up breaking it. Sometimes, I feel like a freakin' Lenny who has good intentions with an ignorance that brings harm. Man, I've been put on the field without having any practice at home. Whistles are blown, fouls are called, and penalties are administered. Coach has got to bench me!

I'm 26 now. 27 in Korea. And God is making me into a better player every year.

"I'm young and have many hidden qualities; I'm young and strong and living through a big adventure; I'm right in the middle of it and can't spend all day complaining because it's impossible to have any fun! I'm blessed with many things: happiness, a cheerful disposition and strength. Every day I feel myself maturing, I feel liberation drawing near, I feel the beauty of nature and the goodness of people around me. Every day I think what a fascinating and amusing adventure this is! With all that, why should I despair?"

-Anne Frank

Thought of the Day: Koreano

Song of the Day: Creamchou-샤워

No comments: