February 8, 2010

Jekyll and Hyde

"Any teacher can take a child to the classroom, but not every teacher can make him learn. He will not work joyously unless he feels that liberty is his, whether he is busy or at rest; he must feel the flush of victory and the heartsinking of disappointment before he takes with a will the tasks distasteful to him and resolves to dance his way bravely through a dull routine of textbooks."
-Helen Keller

I have this new student named Kelly. She's only in 1st grade, but I'm already teaching her words like "endure" and "value." The amazing thing is that she actually retains this stuff! Today, we took a review test of 40 words, and she only missed four. I usually don't express how much I love young children, but this girl is FRAKING cute too. Even when she yawns, burps, and sneezes, she is ridiculously adorable.

Until she starts speaking in Korean.

For some reason, she's like this pure angel while speaking to me in English as we're having class. But as soon as she leaves that door, Kelly turns into 정민 and all hell breaks loose with her inner demon on the prowl. She's always talking one bar higher than she has to whenever she speaks in Korean. She's also supposedly well-known for how loud she can scream, so my ears are always in fear. Why can't she just stay Kelly and never turn into 정민?

I really want to take pictures and videos of her, but kids tell their parents everything...that will get the teacher in trouble. Shekis. But just to give you an idea, here are pictures of my niece that illustrate a little bit about what I'm talking about:
Hyde

Jekyll

Thought of the Day: Super Bowl
Song of the Day: Beastie Boys-Sure Shot

No comments: