November 10, 2009

Media


I recently watched "500 Days of Summer." I've gone through my share of Summers, so it was easy for me to enjoy. Plus, like it says, "You should know upfront, this is not a love story."





2NE1 vs. SNSD

Girl groups have exploded in Korea lately. But of all the groups that are out there, I'd have to say 2NE1 wins my vote. They're not very pretty and aren't particularly talented singers, but they've got charisma on top of the catchy songs. Now, their polar opposite would have to be SNSD. Mad pretty. Great vocals. And lots of fake smiles. Girls' Generation represents everything that I dislike about Korean TV. It's all one big beauty magazine brought to life. You watch them perform, covet their attractiveness, and feel ugly. But with 2NE1, you merely enjoy the song and dance, which is the intention of music. If I've offended any SNSD fans (that means you, Jae), "I don't care...eh eh eh eh eh."


After watching the first three seasons of The Wire, I've come to realize that the main message that they're trying to get across is that every level of society is corrupt.  Politicians are corrupt.  Lawyers are corrupt.  Drug dealers are corrupt.  Even the homeless are corrupt!  And through all of this, the police detectives who are seeking to find evidence for their corruption are no better if not worse.  There is an apparent absence of integrity as everyone is trying to get ahead in life.  Everyone has different goals, but they're all doing the same thing:  trying to find meaning in their life.  But even if they reach one goal, they make another goal to reach.  And another and another...until they end up dead or get sent to prison.  The mayor is driven by respect.  Drug dealers fight for power.  Police want recognition.  The homeless search for drugs.  America really has become the Devil's playground. But yeah, Sopranos wins.

Thought of the Day: Preaching heresies
Song of the Day: TLC-Creep

No comments: