May 22, 2009


My name is Philip Kyung-Won Chung. But I've also gone by other aliases.

Andy Garcia
Chunky
Cliff
Felipe
Felix el Gato
Fergman
Frank
FTT
Goni
Ill Phil
Kangaroo
Kyung Soo
PChung
Philbert
Phildo
Phileroo
Philus
Phyk
Phykas
Phyki
Phyko
Phykolanda
Pretzelboy
Nastyman
Richard

The interesting thing is that I'll always write "Philip" whenever I write my name on homework assignments but introduce myself as "Phil" in person. However, "Phil" always sounds weird whenever I hear it from people who usually use a nickname for me. I actually used to really dislike it whenever people called me "Philip." To be honest, I still feel a little awkward pronouncing it for some reason.

I will almost never refer to myself as "Phykas," "Frank," or "Philus," but have no problem using "Fergman." I've actually heard people pray for "Phykas" before, the name that I thought would NEVER stick. The funny thing is, it actually bothers me when people retard "Phykas" into something like "Phicus" or "Phykus" or "Ficas." I mean, who in the world doesn't know how to spell "Phykas," right?

I've come to realize why so many of my students spell my name "Philp" or "Phlip." They're basing the letters from "필립" without a basic foundation of English phonics. Some pupils even thought that my name was spelled "Fil" while they pronounce my name "Feel." A few even call me "Peel."

I've never liked my name because it always sounded so plain to me. "Horse lover" doesn't help either. Growing up, I always thought "Steven" or "Stephen" were the coolest guy names. But for someone who doesn't even like his own name, I secretly feel that Philips who spell their names with two L's (Phillip) are stupid because they're always misspelling our name. My justification is that Philip in the Bible only goes by one L. In your face.

Don't even get me started on my Korean name.

Thought of the Day: Kyung Won
Song of the Day: 박중훈-비와 당신

No comments: