December 17, 2007

Every once in a blue moon, my boss will ask me to teach SAT math to some high school kids from abroad. The thing is, I'm not too good with math to begin with. But SAT math just really makes my life so much more difficult. More than your math skills and ability, it's all about the shortcuts and strategies. Too bad I lack both. I was truly humbled today when one my students finished all of his quiz corrections and homework IN class while I had had a head start on some of the homework problems. He finished everything (50 problems) while I was stuck on #16.

Towards my last couple of classes, I decided to "challenge" one of my private writing students with impossible problem #16. The second year middle school student simply replied, "Oh, I had a problem just like this on my test last week!" He graciously showed me how to do it on the board. He even showed me two different ways. By the time he had left, I only remembered half of his explanation. But right before finishing my last class, I was finally able to see things from a different angle and solve the problem easily. *phew* It's times like these that cause me to reconsider becoming a math teacher. Koreans are so good at math!

Thought of the Day: China.
Song of the Day: The Brilliant Green-Koi wa Kirakira Boshi

No comments: