June 3, 2007

The month of May just wasn't a good month for me. People left, hearts were broken, skulls were cracked, and peers were not able to follow through. But June is upon us, and I'm ready for an action-packed summer. So far, things are looking pretty good. I had a work-free Saturday (rare) and decided to go hiking in Bukan San with my dad and his cousin.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The interesting thing about Seoul is that it's the only metropolitan city in the world that has mountains right next to it (I think).
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Now this ahjushee used to be a hardcore mountain climber and supposedly went to every single mountain in Korea (there's a grip!). Unfortunately, he had a pretty major accident some years back, so he's not exactly 100% with his memory. But one thing for sure is that this man LOVES hiking. It's the only thing he talks about. His true passion. You could tell cause it got annoying real fast.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Anyways, here's him showing me and my dad that he can do like 20 pullups as opposed to his usual 60 that he used to do.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
He even brought a hammock that we didn't end up using at all.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
But what can you say? Hiking and all that mountain stuff is his life, so he wanted to show us everything about it. It was really funny cause we'd run into other hikers when we reached certain resting areas. They'd talk about the different mountains that they had been to, but my dad's cousin would just remark on how every place that they mentioned was really easy or "not even a real mountain." Arrogance can be so funny sometimes.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We each had two rolls of kimbap for lunch. We were disappointed to find that the chicken man wasn't there to sell us any chicken. That truly would've hit the spot. Seriously though, eating and drinking anything in a mountain is ridiculously delicious.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It was a beautiful day, so we were able to see the city very clearly.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
After I took this picture, this one stranger asked us if I was some kind of Hollywood star or something. He started calling me "Tucker" or something and was so convinced that I looked like some kind of American celebrity. What a funny man.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
One of my favorite parts of the hike was when we had to climb up these crazy rock things. You literally had to crawl up on all fours to go up some areas. There were even times when I thought UHOH, I'M SCREWED as I would come down some dangerous areas. But that's the fun in hiking, right? Risk, danger, and excitement. It makes your hike all the more rewarding.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I know you can't really tell, but we were pretty dang high up.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I originally wanted to go to the highest part of this massive mountain, but I realized how foolish and ignorant I was after six hours of hiking. You seriously need THE WHOLE DAY to do that.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Regardless, Mr. Chung and his son had a great time. Saturday very well spent! If you're in Korea and have no money but plenty of time, I recommend hiking. I finally understand why there's so many dang hikers on Line #1 every Sunday morning.

I finished reading Mere Christianity yesterday. C.S. Lewis can write some pretty profound stuff. There would be times where I'd just be fascinated by how he could think of whatever analogies or theories. Stinkin' brilliant. I personally think it's one of the best books to explain Christianity in a "sensible and logical" manner. Nobody really knows this, but I've been keeping a list of Favorite Quotes after being inspired by John Ro's book of quotes. I would share all of the quotes that I liked from Mere Christianity, but I know that you'd get bored and not read them. SO, I'll just share a short one that I particularly liked:

“The world is a great sculptor’s shop. We are the statutes and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life.”

-C.S. Lewis

I made a new friend a few days ago (through the help of Pris' Helena's Alex). His name is Ren, and he's a singer. He's a really nice guy, and I hope we become good friends.

Two more weeks, Simon!

Thought of the Day: Chalala.
Song of the Day: Natalie Grant-In Christ Alone

No comments: