May 25, 2007

Yesterday was Buddha's Birthday, which Korea celebrates as a national holiday. I celebrated by making review tests for next week. But I also used the day to meet up with an old childhood friend of mine named Dong Nee. She is the same age as me, and we used to play together every time I came to Korea ever since we were young. Her father and my father have been best friends since their college years. The last time I had seen her was when I was in 9th grade. She was always cute and a lot of fun back in the day, so there were many times where I'd daydream of hooking up with her when we both got older. Well, we finally met up again after eight long years. I know I'm stating the obvious, but people change a lot in eight years. And not just any eight years, but years when you go through high school and college. Sometimes, I feel like those adolescent and young adult years just mess everything up. Childhood was so cute, simple, and fun. Anyways, we've both changed a lot, and we're now disgusting adults that have complicated lives. I mean, we drank tea at a cafe to catch up! Geez.

As we were talking over dessert, I realized how much I longed for a real friend in Korea. Later that night, for the first time in a long time, I decided to open up my dusty journal. I was shocked to see that my last entry was on September 19, 2006. Here's what I wrote:

Hi, journal. It's been a hell of a long time since I last wrote (how cliché). I just finished my second day in Korea and I am really tired. I'm actualy a bit down right now b/c I spoke w/Meena about her experiences. She sounds totally ready to leave the motherland. Her "testimony" made me feel like this is all a temporary trip. I guess technically it is...however, I wish to see it as one impactful trip. I want to grow and change and learn. Meena made it sound like a burdensome work experience in a foreign country, which is technically once again, true. My hope is that the fact she is not a christian totally affected her outlook on her Korea experience. I have a totally different view of Meena now. She is no longer the kind, pretty, christian, older sister that was totally going to take care of me. She is the independent, boyfriend-distracted, pagan, and much older person who is leaving in less than 2 months. What a discouraging way to end my long day. "I did not come here to make friends," she said. I need to sleep this sadness off. Tomorrow is yet another long day.

Maybe I'm getting a glimpse of what Jesus went through while he was doing his earthly ministry. He knew plenty of people and even had a dozen companions who followed him everywhere he went. But no matter how much he spoke or spent time with them, they could never fully understand or empathize with him. I'm sure in many ways, Jesus often felt lonely and frustrated. But we also know that he had a perfect fellowship with the Father whom he always went to in the mornings. We, too, can have this perfect fellowship because Jesus went through the greatest abandonment that any man could ever face. I often feel alone in this fast paced country, but I should always remember that I have a perfect friend whom I can pray to. Friendship is a beautiful thing. May the Lord provide where I lack.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

P.S.-I heard about Ken's accident a week ago and knew I should write to him. I worried and prayed about his condition, family, and even his graduation. Yet I didn't write to him cause that's how good of a friend I am. I am SO HAPPY that you are alive and well, Kenny.

Thought of the Day: Poor Christine.
Song of the Day: Yangpa-사랑..그게 뭔데

No comments: