May 7, 2007

Here are some blurry pictures that my unsteady hand took. I have to admit that Korea has some pretty cool cafes. The pictures below happen to be a book cafe in 삼청동. There's something really nice about that place. The simplicity and quietness. Very peaceful and chill.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oh well. Those pictures are ugly.

Today is officially Parents' Day in Korea since they don't have separate days for fathers or mothers. Last Friday, Elite students were assigned to write a letter to their parents in English as their writing assignment. Of course you get the typical complaints and groans about not knowing what or how much to say. But you'd be surprised to see what kinds of things some of these students will say when they're forced to write (even in English). The biggest thing that caught my attention was when I read letters where students wished that they could have more conversations with their parents. I remember a particular teacher telling me that some of these students become really attached to you because some of them see you more often than they see their fathers. And apparently, even when they do see their fathers or mothers, there isn't much communication that goes on. Something isn't right here.

One thing that I've recently been struggling with is talking with my dad. When he first moved into my place, we'd have all kinds of conversations for hours and on. But after a while, you begin to long for some privacy, especially after a hard day's work. Sometimes, talking is the last thing you want to do since that's all you've been doing for the past 12 hours. However, as soon as I come home from work, talking is all my dad WANTS to do. As opposed to me, he's been home for several hours behind a computer or book in solitude. As pathetic as it may sound, I am his only social life. Can you see where the conflict comes into play? Two people, one room, two different agendas.

My students' letters served as a reminder to me (once again) that struggle is so relative.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Today during private tutoring, I was talking to my student, David, about how much I love 삼겹살 in Korea. I told him how there was this one occasion when I ate it three times in one week. I was obviously proud of this health hazardous activity and was expecting a surprised reaction. On the contrary, David merely expressed disappointment and told me that one time, he ate 삼겹살 everyday for one week (Mon.-Sat. to be precise). I didn't know whether to feel disgusted or humbled. I guess I felt both...and a lil jealous, too. Ha.

People say that you go through different emotional stages when you go abroad. Next week, I will have been here for eight months. It finally hit me that I'm going through a slump. Hopefully, my brother can bring me back up some time next month. That would be just swell.

Kathy finished at Elite today. I'm so sad about that, too.

Thought of the Day: Kinko's.
Song of the Day: Michael Jackson-Beat It

No comments: