July 28, 2002

so i met my friend, In-gyu, last night. he's still the same funny guy except he got chubbier, darker, and wears different glasses. i say this every time i see him coincidentally. anyways, it was great seeing him again. we always talk about the stupidest things such as WWF, hamburgers, dance parties, and how much simon sucks at korean. haha.

(in korean)
in-gyu: so the place you live in america. can you get to the WWF places?
me: ahahahahahaah.

in-gyu: so, you're 18 now huh? now i can take you to some "fun" places!
dad: where?
in-gyu: somewhere "fun."
dad: where?
in-gyu: it's a secret.
dad: can you take simon?
in-gyu: nope.
his mom: don't worry, he just says that to make it sound exciting.
in-gyu: it's a secret!
me: ahahahahahahah.

well, i guess it's not so funny cause i translated everything. hearing it in korean is SO funny.

today, i saw my 5th uncle (the rich bastard) and one of my old cousins. it's so awkward talking to them. of all the uncles, i hate seeing him the most b/c he's "different." it seems like he deserves the most respect even though he's the 5th of the 6 sons in the family. anyways, he was talking about how struggles make us stronger people and crap. pleasure only spoils you. blah blah blah. he always talks about how i should perfect my korean so i can get a REALLY good job in the future or something. but he did have 2 interesting conversations with my dad over lunch. they were talking about how crazy the Worldcup was. they started talking about each game, how we tied with US, beat Portugal, going to sudden death with Italy, fighting til the end with Spain, and looking pitiful with Germany. i can tell these guys were hardcore fans. i mean, everyone in korea was! i just couldn't imagine my uncle getting all worked up. the second conversation was totally unexpected...

uncle: so simon. does your brother beat you up?
simon: no.
uncle: but he used to right?
simon: yeah.
uncle: yeah, all brothers beat each other up. i used to get hit by 3rd uncle all the time.
dad: oh did you? 2nd uncle doesn't seem like he would hit you alot.
uncle: yeah, he didn't. but i know 1st uncle used to hit him alot.
dad: and you didn't hit me much either.
aunt: except for that one time a few years ago!!!
(awkward silence).
dad: but he never hit me when i was young.
(cough).

i don't know. he's not like my mom's side of the family. now those folks are cool. they're like pretty poor and don't have anyone who did really well in school. they're more down to earth you know? they know how to have fun. they're MY kinda family! but yeah, everyone seems to want to take me to dinner. just about every person i meet in korea ask me what my schedule is cause they wanna take me out. yes, i am mr. popular in korea. the coolest bastard alive!

ugh, i enjoy almost EVERY meal over here! even breakfast is DA bomb cause they still eat rice and stuff. i know you're getting sick of this but I LOVE KOREA!!!

Thought of the Day: Why does my uncle have to be like that?
Song of the Day: Cool-Truth

No comments: