August 22, 2019

Teaching Hope

One of my students told me she would be missing class tomorrow to attend the court trial for the man who recently murdered her father. It saddens me to think how much trauma many of my students carry with them every day, trauma that has probably not been addressed or processed in a healthy way. She is in my largest class of 47 enrolled students and I often wonder what I can do to best support them when there's only one of me and...so many of them.

I just finished reading Teaching Hope, a book that I had borrowed from a good teacher friend of mine. Years ago, I had read the Freedom Writers, stories written by high school students who were taught by Erin Gruwell in Long Beach. This book is a collection of stories written by teachers who show the perspective of working in many challenging situations and environments; hence, its title. My biggest takeaway is that teaching will always be hard, but students need good teachers in their lives.

How do I become the good teacher that my students need?

Thought of the Day: Instant Pot
Song of the Day: Vince Guaraldi-A Taste of Honey

No comments: