July 7, 2017

Devotionals for the Undevoted

I recently found out that Banner of Truth posts a free daily devotional from The Valley of Vision, a book of Puritan prayers and devotions. I recall my passionate days of promoting reformed theology and even giving a copy of The Valley of Vision to those who were remotely interested. The irony is that I never read the book myself except for a handful of prayers that sounded like they were reserved for the lips of holy people.

I've been going through the Psalms in my personal devotions, but my prayers have felt repetitive, dry, and pointless for a while now. Like one of my small group members once shared, it often looks something like "God, you know, you know, you know, thank you, thank you, thank you. Amen." I suppose that is one of the many reasons why the author of The Valley of Vision researched and wrote those amazing prayers. The Holy Spirit groans our heart, but it is nice to also have guided carefully chosen words that we can ponder upon and express to the Father who listens.

If you are struggling with conversing with God, I would recommend these accessible Puritan prayers as an addition, not substitution, to your prayers. They are definitely for UNholy people. Like me.


Thought of the Day: Amazon Prime Day
Song of the Day: A Flock of Seagulls-I Ran

No comments: