August 25, 2014

The Beauty of Mount Math

"She said there was comfort to be found in the permanence of mathematical truths, in the lack of arbitrariness and the absence of ambiguity. In knowing that the answers may be elusive, but they could be found. They were there, waiting, chalk scribbles away."
-Pari, And the Mountains Echoed

I just finished going through my entire geometry book that took me exactly one whole month after borrowing it from a former student of mine. I've always had trouble explaining to people why I like math even though I'm not good at it. But I think Pari has come the closest to describing something I feel when I look at the uniformity of all the numbers and formulas that are universally true. It all just "makes sense" even when we don't understand every proof or theorem. But it's especially beautiful when we do understand the concepts presented to us. I hope I can become a great math teacher some day.

Thought of the Day: G2
Song of the Day: Far East Movement-Like A G6

No comments: