July 7, 2013

The Green Line


I take Subway Line 2 aka 2호선 aka 지옥선 (the Hell Line) practically every single day every single week. It's one of the busiest and crowded subway lines in Seoul due to its circular route, so it can get pretty nasty during rush hour. As a result, I try to leave 10 minutes earlier than I normally have to just so that I can beat the bum rush. I've been able to time it well enough to get a seat every morning for the past two months or so, but my streak broke today when a lady strategically placed her body just a couple of inches closer to my unmarked territory to unofficially qualify for the seat that opened up just four stops after I had gotten on. If I don't get a seat by Guro Digital Complex, I won't be sitting for a while.

Sitting during rush hour is so important. It's the difference between sitting first class and getting tossed around with the cargo. You can read, pray, and sleep without having to stand, shove, sweat, and step on shoes. You appreciate it so much more during the summer months and even more on the rainy days. That's why you gotta be extra quick on your toes whenever you're coming up on a transfer station. Cause once a seat opens up on that train, everyone's antennae go up and one lucky lottery winner cashes in the prize right away. You just have to pray that no grandma walks in with heavy groceries and a cane. But for the most part, the elderly know better than to take the Hell Line at the most hellish hours.

You build a lot of character on that Green Line.


Thought of the Day: Sonata
Song of the Day: Scarface-In Between

No comments: