February 15, 2012

Dejuj Kries

Student:  Teacher, what is Dejuj Kries?
Me:  Where did you hear that?
Student:  My teacher she always said, "Believe in Dejuj Kries!"

So apparently, my student had a substitute teacher who always taught about Jesus in his computer and math class.  She ended up getting fired because she wasn't really teaching what she was supposed to be teaching.  A clear breach in state and church.  But what was interesting was how upset my atheistic student was with these "strong believers" of Christianity.  He began to tell me about another negative experience he had with a woman who was evangelizing to him on the street and saying that he would suffer painfully in hell for not believing in God.  My student is just entering 6th grade.  As you can imagine, he has a pretty bad image of evangelistic Christians.

Brennan Manning said that "the greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians..."  I remember hearing that for the first time in middle school and being surprised by such a profound idea and statement.  But through the years of being surrounded by both Christians and non-Christians, the surprise has only been replaced by sadness.  When people ask me questions about the Bible, my answers are inadequate and poor.  When people view my life, it is inconsistent with what I profess to believe.  When people see my Christian brothers and sisters, they don't see a community of believers.  I'm sad because I know that I too am a cause of atheism in the world today.

But thank goodness that God is greater than my failures and even the poor preaching and presentation of Dejuj Kries.

Thought of the Day:  STOP NORTH KOREAN REFUGEE EXECUTION!
Song of the Day:  Taru-Summer Day

No comments: