August 11, 2011

Since she's my rose.

I didn't appreciate The Little Prince the first time I read it. I reread it today for one of my classes and was so impressed this second time around. I'm sure many people love this quote, but this was the first time it actually stood out to me:

The little prince went to look at the roses again.
"You're not at all like my rose. You're nothing at all yet," he told them. "No one has tamed you and you haven't tamed anyone. You're the way my fox was. He was just a fox like a hundred thousand others. But I've made him my friend, and now he's the only fox in all the world."
And the roses were humbled.
"You're lovely, but you're empty," he went on. "One couldn't die for you. Of course, an ordinary passerby would think my rose looked just like you. But my rose, all on her own, is more important than all of you together, since she's the one I put under glass. Since she's the one I sheltered behind a screen. Since she's the one for whom I killed the caterpillars (except the two or three for butterflies). Since she's the only one I listened to when she boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing at all. Since she's my rose."

I love that.

Thought of the Day: 광복절
Song of the Day: Angus & Julia Stone-Big Jet Plane (Live)

No comments: