August 17, 2011

And Be Glad In It

"...drop some of them bricks you keep hauling around with you. Life just ain't that heavy."
-Ob from Missing May

Charley once told me over a beer that he sought to enjoy every single day. At the time, I had shared about some of the many things that kept me from being happy in life. But when he told me that there was so much to enjoy from each day, how every day is special, I guess I had a moment of clarity or enlightenment. I had forgotten that life was supposed to be enjoyable.

I feel like I have become so purpose-driven in everything that I do. When I read a book, it's because I have to prepare for a class. When I study Korean, it's because I need to be able to communicate better with my fellow natives. When I exercise, it's because I need to stunt the growth of my love handles. When I work, it's because I need to save money because I need to pay off loans because I want one less thing that I have to deal with. I have forgotten to enjoy these activities.

So these days, I am consciously dropping some of my own bricks to enjoy my many daily routines. Just like listening to music, going on dates, or playing basketball, there is so much to enjoy. Is your life heavy?

Thought of the Day: Entourage
Song of the Day: John Mayer-Great Indoors

No comments: