July 13, 2011

Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous

-Many of my students struggle with recognizing big numbers in English like million or billion. A few weeks ago, I had this conversation during a lesson on numbers:

Student: Teacher, is one million a lot?
Me: Yeah. $1,000,000 is similar to 1,000,000,000won.
Student: That's not a lot.
Me: Yeah, it is. Why don't you think so?
Student: My family has a billion won.
Me: No, you don't.
Student: Really! I checked my parent's 통장, but I don't know why we still live in this house.
Me: ...

-You think that's rich? One of my previous students has parents that have not worked in decades because they don't need to. They're the richest people I know personally in my life. But before leading their job-less lifestyle, the mother used to be a stewardess. She totally looks like one too. Pretty pretty for her age.

-Another pretty lady I know is one of my adult students. A mother of three, married to a doctor. It's not that she's strikingly beautiful or anything, but I noticed that she has an attractive face and figure, especially for her age. Turns out that she used to be a news reporter.

And then, there's me. Haha.

Thought of the Day: 어학연수
Song of the Day: Weezer-Pork and Beans

No comments: