June 29, 2011

Little House on the Monday

I think I first started to enjoy reading after I started the Little House series in third or fourth grade. It didn't occur to me for a long time that these books were more geared towards a female audience. Looking back, I can't believe I had actually asked my mom to buy me all the Rose Wilder Lane books too. But in my defense, I wasn't reading these secret series out of enjoyment; it was more out of a stubborn persistence to be able to say that I had finished all that there was to read about Laura Ingalls. I think I didn't know what I was trying to prove really.

Anyway, I recently found myself having to read The Long Winter, which is one of the books in the original series. It's fascinating to read about the naivety and innocence of these farm girls who have never lived in the midst of anyone outside of their family. Once they move in to town and start going to school, the book says:

"Mary and Laura and Carrie were all enjoying school so much that they were sorry when Saturday and Sunday interrupted it. They looked forward to Monday."

I personally cannot remember the last time I ever looked forward to a Monday outside of holidays and school breaks. While Korean students, or any person today for that matter, would think that the Ingalls girls are crazy, I think there was something right and proper in their attitude and approach to the weekday.

God did not intend our studies or work to be dreadful or burdensome. But somewhere between the fall of creation and now, Monday became the epitome of the worst thing to look forward to in the average person's life. In fact, Office Space even coined the expression, "the case of the Mondays" as if it were some disease or sickness. Today happens to be Hump Day. On Friday, we thank God that it's finally here! How is it that man has turned Monday into something so terrible?

Thought of the Day: 판다
Song of the Day: 재주소년-춤추는 대구에서

No comments: