June 14, 2011

Daily Bread

"The most important thing in your life is your personal devotional study each day. If you fail there, you will fail everywhere. If you fail there, you will fail everywhere."
-Ravi Zacharias

I don't remember too many of my youth group Friday Bible study nights, but there was one night where our director, Allen Lee, challenged us to read the Bible once or twice a day for one week. When we regrouped the following Friday, it turned out that everyone had failed the challenge...everyone but me.

Today, sometimes people ask me how I am so "disciplined" and consistent with things like daily devotionals. I understand where they're coming from as I have my share of difficulties with setting aside time each day for the Lord. But I think more than anything, the problem begins when we view these precious times as "discipline" or even "time FOR the Lord" as if God needed us to read and pray to make Him happy. While there is worship that goes to God, we are the ones who receive the benefits and joys of being near Him.

I know that my devotional time becomes a burden as soon as I see God's Word as just some book or if prayer feels like an obligation or duty. But I also know that when I choose not to read or speak to God, I am being blatantly arrogant and living as if I don't need Him in my life. Man, devotionals are the easiest and the hardest thing to do in the world.

Thought of the Day: Happy Birthday, Snugs!
Song of the Day: Utada Hikaru-Keep Tryin' (Forever Voices Mix)

No comments: