December 6, 2010

Origami 2

I learned how to make a few more things out of paper to make some cheap x-mas gifts for my students. Although the main purpose was to be resourceful with my time and money (and my drawer filled with paper), I found myself spending many more hours on preparing these gifts than I ever have for any other Christmas. I've been using all of my free days learning, practicing, and folding...some in vain like that stupid pentagon box thing sitting on the top that took me forever to figure out even though I decided to not use it. As my mom told me, "If they only knew..."

But for the handful of students that "deserve" a real gift, I realized that choosing gifts for young children can be a very challenging task. You don't want to spoil them with something too expensive nor get them something useless and undesirable. I'm still stuck on one of my wealthier students who really has EVERYTHING except for an iPad. His mom seriously buys him EVERYTHING, so much that he may be numb to any sense of appreciation. What in the world do 6th graders like?

In a lot of ways, I am spending these long hours on gifts with selfish motives. I want the parents to like me. I want them to see that I'm different from those other heartless teachers who merely teach and walk out with an envelope of cash. I can already see a handful of my students not saying thank you or even showing the gift to their parents. But that's ok. It's not like I'm so good at being thankful either. But I do want to be able to give selflessly because that is how my Savior gave of himself for me.

Better get back to folding.

Thought of the Day: Angular Cheilitis
Song of the Day: DCT-NiGHTS Into Dreams The Polar Express OC ReMix

No comments: