April 30, 2010

한자

I tried to avoid learning 한자 for the longest time. My dad bought me a beginners book about three years ago that collected lots of dust. Some time last year, I decided maybe learning some of the root sounds would be helpful to understanding Korean words. But after joining our church's Saturday Korean class, the teacher decided to add in 한자 and Korean proverbs. Although we're not required to know how to write the characters, I really felt that writing them would really help me to recognize and learn them properly and effectively. So I decided to bust out the book that my dad had gotten for me and started practicing my characters.

In the beginning, I was really really bitter with studying 한자 because it felt so daunting and tedious (which it is). But my eye has begun to notice these characters much more in public and even been able to read and understand a few. It's truly hard to start learning something like this as an adult, but I am beginning to see its value too. My dad would tell me over and over that in order for me to really learn Korean, I would have to learn 한자. I still think watching Korean dramas everyday would be more practical, but I see where he's coming from. Ah who am I kidding? I HATE 한자!

Thought of the Day: Shrek the Third
Song of the Day: J-주를 찬양하며 (I Just Want To Praise You)

No comments: