April 24, 2010

Chong Bong Related

"i think you've been in Korea longer than i've known you in person"
-Janet Chong

September will be four years for me, and I had one of those moments today where I realized just how Korean I've become. I was playing basketball and one of my teammates got a good rebound. I complimented him with a "나이스 리," which essentially means "good board." I've also picked up "깝이!" and "나이스 컷!" I played for a good two hours with some ripping results.

"Isn't she pretty? Isn't she wonderful?"

I was also thinking about the stereotypical things that make someone so Korean, and I couldn't help but think of a lot of S words.

1. Samgyup
2. Soju
3. Singing
4. Starcraft
5. Soccer
6. Smoking

I think 고스톱 is the only exception.


Although I've lived here for over three years, it wasn't until recently that I got my first check card. I always always used cash to pay for everything, but I finally decided to take initiative and apply for a debit card. One of the benefits of this card is that I can use it to pay for transportation too. I actually took pride in the fact that my T-money card was so old, which I had originally gotten from Janet while she was here in the summer of '06. But life goes on and so must my T-money.


I have a thing for buying used cds, dvds, and books. Part of it is saving money, but another part is helping out those used bookstores/garage sales. Today, I went to the biggest one I know that is located in 신촌 and was so happy to find "Ender's Shadow." I'm not a big sci-fi reader, but "Ender's Game" was so impressive and I remembered Janet telling me that "Ender's Shadow" was even better (I think). Unfortunately, the book happens to be stinkin' huge! A few more centimeters and it'd be the same size as my study Bible. I can't remember the last time I was this excited to start a book.


I recently told Janet that I used to be so good about emailing but really fell out of it recently, especially after Japan. So if you've been expecting me to write to you as regularly as I used to, I'm sorry. And if you've been receiving emails from me these days, you are seriously just that much more special. But in all honesty, I think it's a combination of basketball, Korean studies, and early morning schedules. Ok, Battlestar Galactica too.

See you in the fall, Janet!

Thought of the Day: 보쌈과 파전
Song of the Day: B2ST-Shock

1 comment:

elisa said...

PHIL! that picture. eewwww. haha. Hope you're okay...

I hope you didn't pick up on all of the Korean S's cuz smoking is BAD!!!