March 14, 2010

Koreatown

Today, I watched a random video on K-town and started developing a superiority complex. Basically, the people in the video were introducing some of the hot spots like Hodori or ABC Plaza and explaining why they're so special. As I was watching these familiar locations, I began to think about the stereotypical K-town people who go clubbing, drinking, and singing. I couldn't help but think "What a buncha wannabes! They're trying to be Korean!" And then I started thinking about being surrounded by a Korean American community again and all the stereotypes that go with that (I hated how the people in the video were named Mike and Grace...why do we all have the same names?). I watched some other Youtube videos and started to feel embarrassed whenever I saw Korean Americans try to make music or do comedy in public. Don't you ever get that feeling whenever you watch Kollaboration stuff?

I don't know what it is. Maybe there's a part of me that feels like I'm better than other kyopos because I've experienced life in Korea. But the truth is, I haven't really experienced true Korean life either. I've merely experienced the life of a kyopo in the motherland. I mean, I'm very stereotypical too. I came here after graduating college. I teach English to sustain myself and pay off debt. I am part of an English Ministry. I meet up with other Korean Americans on the weekends. I've been set up on many awkward blind dates. I don't know when I'll go back.

Just another cereal box in the cereal aisle. At least, I taste better than the K-town kind.

Thought of the Day: Todai
Song of the Day: Lifehouse-Everything

No comments: