February 18, 2010

Now that's just classic!

In the past two weeks, I decided to watch some old school classics that I had never touched in my life.
(in order)

Lawrence of ArabiaSunset Blvd.
8 1/2
(couldn't finish this crap).Once Upon a Time in the WestSome Like It HotI was disappointed with the first two and a half, but the last two were worthwhile. I'm no cowboy lover, but Once Upon a Time in the West is seriously the best western movie ever to be made. There are far too many good quotes to share all of them, but here's the one that started the movie...

Harmonica: And Frank?
Snaky: Frank sent us.
Harmonica: Did you bring a horse for me?
Snaky: Well... looks like we're...
[snickers]
Snaky: ...looks like we're shy one horse.
Harmonica: You brought two too many.

I had always heard of Some Like It Hot, but was turned off by the fact that it was in black and white. However, it ranked really high on AFI and IMDB, so I gave it a shot. I had always heard about Marilyn Monroe and seen pictures of her, but this was the first time I really saw her beauty and heard her voice. And as always, I Wikipediaed and IMDBed her to see what her life was like. She actually had a pretty depressing one starting from her multiple foster home childhood to her abusive adulthood. Here's a sad video that commemorates her last days.


As I did some research on Gloria Swanson who played Norma Desmond in Sunset Blvd., it turns that the character she played in the movie reflected a very similar biography of her own life. She had a total of six husbands in her lifetime! That's more than the Samaritan woman at the well!

With all the hours that I spend reseaching and watching movies, I wonder what I would do instead if I didn't have my computer. It scares me to think just how much more productive I'd be.

Thought of the Day: McDonalds
Song of the Day: U2-Babyface

No comments: