November 19, 2009

"I want a perfect body I want a perfect soul"


CNNGo: Where is the pressure coming from, that causes men to be embarrassed by their appearance?
"Sakura": The media. All of the celebrities on TV have plastic surgery -- constantly trying to morph into an unattainable ideal. In Japan, if there's one example, it applies to all, so if you fall through the cracks, you stand out and internalize that difference.

I've always thought about plastic surgery and the many reasons why people choose to get it.  Living in Korea, I find myself being surrounded by people who highly value appearance and beauty.   You'll find mirrors in subway stations, elevators, and even church hallways!  But the funny thing is, even I find myself caring more about the way I look or what people think of me.  The scary thing is, I've even had times where plastic surgery crossed my mind!

But as for my current stance, I believe that Psalm 139 teaches against cosmetic surgery.  If God intended to make us with the exact features and characteristics that we have, then shouldn't we be content with our appearance no matter what society says or looks like?  When we put our faces or bodies under the knife, aren't we practically telling God that His work and creation were faulty or insufficient?  "You didn't make this good, so let me fix it for you.  Let me improve your work!"

If you've gotten an operation done before, I don't condemn you.  I can understand the pressures that surround us, perhaps even in the church.  Nevertheless, I personally will seek to be content with the way God has made me and even ages me as time goes on.  I will seek to encourage others to find their beauty and glory in God and not their own temporary bodies that will one day be glorious and perfect.  Media, stop burning garbage into our brains!

Thought of the Day:  했긴 했죠
Song of the Day:  Misty Blue-한밤의 꿈

No comments: