September 27, 2009

This week's persecuted church: Nigeria
In July 2009, an extremist group killed many Christians in northern Nigeria as churches were set on fire and Christians were told to either convert to Islam or die. Three pastors were given this statement but chose to give up everything and face torment and torture until their deaths for the sake of religious freedom, liberty, and truth. These kinds of deaths are justified by the Koran, which allows the killing of infidels during jihad (requiring Muslims to "struggle in the way of God" or "to struggle to improve one's self and/or society.").

I had a pretty encouraging weekend as I got to meet some amazing Christians. I visited Haokip at his school and got to meet his suite mates that were all from various countries in the world. I got to meet his Samoan roommate who taught me that Samoa is actually a Christian nation with 98% of its population being believers. I met his Jamaican friend (who came out to our church today) and learned that 80% of its population is Christian. Finally, I met an Ethiopian Christian who told me that his country is considered the first foreign country to accept Christianity (starting with Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts). The Lord is working all over the world!
Yesterday, Joe and I visited the Foreign Missionary Cemetery in 합정.
It was so encouraging to see so many Christian soldiers who had lived so faithfully. It was like seeing a modern day Hebrews 11.
There was even a section for missionary infants who died at a very young age.

What are you doing with your life?

Thought of the Day: Who is this Jesus?
Song of the Day: Lifehouse-Take Me Away

No comments: