September 17, 2009

Me: What?
Daniel: State of Laboratory.

Me: What did you say?!

Daniel: State of Laboratory!


Today, I was thinking about Daniel's mother and all the frustration she must go through raising her younger son. Before I walk into their house, I can always hear Daniel playing piano and his mom telling him to get ready for class. When she opens the door and greets me, Daniel is still playing. She'll ask him to stop playing again. Piano continues. She'll yell at him to stop playing. Piano continues. She'll yell even louder. Piano continues. She'll go into the room and, finally, he'll stop playing and find other ways to waste time. Of course, he doesn't greet me. Our weekly routine.

I'm sure Daniel's mother always thought that she was going to be a calm, gentle, and loving mother. Her children were going to be studious and good-mannered. Being the good Christian that she is, she was going to remind them that we do everything for the glory of God. She was going to rebuke gently yet firmly when necessary. She was going to be an awesome parent.

I wonder if I'm going to have little Daniels.
Have you guys ever read this terrible book? After going through some awesome books like Matilda (and every other children's book written by Dahl), Tuck Everlasting, and The Hatchet, I truly regret choosing The Egypt Game for Donna's next book. I just checked out a list of recommendations online and found this book at Kyobo, so I felt like I couldn't go wrong. But no, I went so so wrong. A buncha 6th grade idolaters who have nothing better to do after school. I returned my copy as soon as I finished it.

Actually, instead of getting a refund, I exchanged the book for The River and Brian's Winter. Reading Gary Paulsen as an adult has been a terrific experience for me. Self-determination and identity issues. He writes in such a simple yet realistic way that keeps the reader interested and wondering what will happen next. That's why I went ahead and got Brian's Winter because it describes what would have happened if Brian had had to stay through the winter. There's so much that a 10-year-old cannot fully comprehend in these profound books.

Small Steps is also a surprisingly fun read too!


I am so very glad that these movies are coming out in Korea next month!
The other day, I was reminiscing the good ol' days when I used to play with Zen all the time. One particular memory that I cherish is the time when we went to Target and made a bet about her being able to fit into the baby seat of a shopping cart. Of course, she was so sure that she wouldn't be able to, but lo and behold, she fit like a glove! But the funniest part was when she was trying to get out and a stranger said, "Woah careful. Your baby's trying to get out." Good times, Zen!

Thought of the Day: Superman
Song of the Day: Donawhale-우주보다 좋아해

No comments: