August 1, 2009

A big part of our Mongolia training was to finish the New Testament by August 2nd, tomorrow, the day that we leave. On top of keeping up with my own personal reading schedule, accomplishing this task was quite a challenge. I spent nearly an hour a day reading through two books from the OT and finishing up with the assigned NT for that day. My Bible is now literally falling apart. This was the most diligent reading I've ever done in my life!
Remember in Memento when Guy Pearce constantly took several pictures and even tattooed his own body so that he wouldn't forget his memories? I think the greatest lesson I learned from my Bible marathon was that I have retrograde amnesia too. I read and I pray and I meet with people and do so many other things to be reminded, but I still always forget God's Word. I'm no holy man for reading much of the Bible; if anything, I'm that much more of a sinner for disobeying all that I read. But thank goodness that the Word is Christ, and Christ is grace. And it is by this grace that I can even go to places like Mongolia and continue to read God's Word.

Nehemiah 8:5-12-5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the LORD, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, "Amen! Amen!" Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground...8 They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear a]">[a] and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read...12 Then all the people went away to eat and drink, to send portions of food and to celebrate with great joy, because they now understood the words that had been made known to them.

Open God's Word and stand up!

Thought of the Day: μ—„μΉœμ•„
Song of the Day: Taru-Kiss Kiss

No comments: