June 6, 2009


This book is about a teacher who changed the lives of several high school students who lived in the ghetto. Instead of reading a story with a clear plot, this book was full of real life diary entries from students who were in Ms. Erin Gruwell's class. This teacher was (is) a truly amazing teacher who made a difference in the world around her. I wonder how I can be an effective teacher to my students just by tutoring them in English. How can a teacher be a teacher who can change lives? Ms. G said, "Evil prevails when good people do nothing." I thought that was powerful.

Here's a brief passage from a student's entry that stood out to me the most:
"Since my dad was the only source of income before he got sick, I've had to become the man of the house. Being the man of the house means no more school for me and certainly more working hours. I also have to cheer up my mom and my younger brother. This is very hard for me because half the time I feel like crying, but I want them to think I'm strong. So most of the time, I hide behind a mask."

Wow.

I am tired from 10 hours of Go/Stop.

Thought of the Day: W Burger
Song of the Day: Kim Ah Joong-Over The Rainbow

No comments: