April 3, 2009

"So when are you coming back home?" "Everyone always asks when you're coming back home." "When's the next time you're going to visit home?"

I. Don't. Know. But one thing that I do know is that it's not going to be easy whenever it is that I do go home. Little things like picking up 1,000won kimbab and eating it while walking to my next student. 삼겹살 노래방 nights. Supermarket ice cream bars on hot summer nights. Warm 순대 and 떡볶이 next to the bus stop on cold winter nights. Notice how everything involves food?

But it's funny seeing how far I've come in living in this country. You can totally tell the difference between the first years and the second years. The new ones are always happier and more excited about everything. So optimistic and full of energy. It's really similar to college when you contrast the freshmen vs. the sophomores. A lot happens in that one year gap.

One interesting thing that I notice though is that no one really gets homesick. Sure they want to see family and friends or eat that really good burger/burrito from back home, but I rarely hear of people really really wanting to go back home. I guess I feel the same way too. But one thing you often hear is people who do go home wanting to come back to Korea. What is it about this country?

No comments: