December 14, 2008

This Week's Persecuted Church: Bangladesh

Laila Begum, 45-year-old convert from Islam, was stopped by a dozen Muslim neighbors who blocked her way and demanded money (about $3 US). Then they beat her, her husband, and son with iron rods and sticks. Local officials threatened to burn their houses down and evict them from the area if they filed a case against them. This is just one story out of the thousands in Bangladesh. Please remember them.


After watching the movie, I decided to read the actual book. I wish I had read the book first because all I could imagine were the various movie scenes. Honestly, I was disappointed by the things he chose to write about in his book. I wonder what kind of book I'd write if my only means of communication was through blinking. It was still quite something to think that I had read a book that was written with a left eye.
Now here's a book that I've been meaning to read for a while now. When I first met Momo at last year's Christmas party, she told me that she had chosen her name because of this book. I just started it, but early on it says, "...what Momo was better at than anyone else was listening. Anyone can listen, you may say - what's so special about that? - but you'd be wrong. Very few people know how to listen properly, and Momo's way of listening was quite unique." I think Momo lives up to her name.

Thought of the Day: 성막
Song of the Day: Krs-One-Ova Here

No comments: