July 13, 2008


I don't know how many times I've told people about how jealous I am of this year's Mongolia team. I really really wanted to go this year, but the only thing that was holding me back was my job. Although it's a very legit reason to not go, I had all these crazy fantasies of just quitting my job so that I could do "the Lord's work."

This year, Zen went to Eritrea, Joanne went to Pyongyang, Mike & co. go to Mongolia, and Simon will be going to Paraguay. These are just a handful of the thousands of Christians who go to different cities and countries all over the world to further the Gospel. But what about you and me? What the heck are we doing?

One valuable thing that I learned from visiting Dinko in China back in February was that his life really wasn't too different from mine. He's abroad. I'm abroad. He teaches English to teenagers. I teach English to teenagers. He's had opportunities to share the Gospel with students and coworkers. I've had opportunities to share the Gospel with students and coworkers. But the funny thing is Dinko is on "missions," while Phil is making money in Korea. What's going on here?

I've come to realize more and more that we're all on "missions" all the time. Anything we are called to do in our life is the "Lord's work" that He has given us to do. Pastor Dennis who preaches in downtown Los Angeles every Sunday morning is doing his mission. Momo who cooks and cleans for her husband and daughter everyday is doing her mission. Then surely, Phil who teaches at his hakwon and tutors his students is doing his mission. Just as it would be ridiculous for a pastor to consider abandoning his church to help out another ministry in another country, it is ridiculous for me to consider quitting my job just to go and serve in Mongolia for a short period. As Colossians 3:23 tells us, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord..."

Besides, the Church needs senders too.

Thought of the Day: Iron Lung.
Song of the Day: Lifehouse-Take Me Away

No comments: