June 21, 2008

I was on a computer fast for one week but actually failed after staying home all day on a Saturday. The funny thing is, I wasn't doing it for any special cause, but I still found myself feeling guilty for failing with only two days to go. Oh well. But one thing that I learned from this fast was that I love to use my computer for emails, blogs, and music because they are the sources of my times of reflection. Whenever I came home from a long day's work, my substitutes for my computer were my journal and ipod. I usually write in my journal about once every few months. But this week, I must have written in it at least three times. I guess that's what I would do if I didn't have a computer. Anyways, it's good to be back.

Literature

I've been enjoying Life of Pi these days. I think Yann Martel is a terrific writer who really knows how to use his words well:

“To lose a brother is to lose someone with whom you can share the experience of growing old, who is supposed to bring you a sister-in-law and nieces and nephews, creatures to people the tree of your life and give it new branches. To lose your father is to lose the one whose guidance and help you seek, who supports you like a tree trunk supports its branches. To lose your mother, well, that is like losing the sun above you.”

Isn't that beautiful?

Movies

So the main reason why I broke my computer fast was because I wanted to finish the two Korean movies that my dad had gotten for me for my birthday so that I can send them back home with my mom. The first movie is called 손애보 or "Asako in Ruby Shoes." It's about two different lives that are very lonely. Gotta love them lonely movies, right? Totally loved the girl too.


The second movie I watched was 내 마음의 풍금. I've grown a special heart for Korean teacher movies just because I've "been there, done that." I'm also a sucker for unrequited love movies. If you've never taught in Korea before, you probably won't enjoy this.

Music


It should have rained today.

Thought of the Day: Asako.
Song of the Day: 숙명 가야금 연주단-Let It Be

No comments: