February 8, 2007

One big thing I've been learning through my hakwon experience is the extreme competition amongst the students in Korea.

8-year-old Karen borrows pencils and erasers from 10-year-old Jennifer everyday. The other day, Karen tattled on Jennifer that she spoke English in class, which is worthy of detention. Even 9-year-old Elizabeth decided to team up against Jennifer by supporting the exaggerated claims of Karen. Jennifer NEVER did anything negative to those two girls. Why did they do that?

About a month ago, Elizabeth got over 100% on her vocab quiz while everyone else practically bombed theirs. In class, she told everyone that they shouldn't be sad because they did well, too. In fact, she "got a really bad score as well!" <--- false humility. Right after class, she sprinted to the front desk to share the wonderful news that she was the only one in class to get a perfect score while everyone else had failed miserably. Can you say TWO-FACE? Why do you do that?

Yesterday, Jennifer got a 93% while everyone else got 100% or better. Jennifer's spirit was so downcast. She told me that her mother had told her that "if Elizabeth gets a 100%, Jennifer had to get higher than 100%." No matter what I said to encourage her, her discouraged heart wouldn't budge. According to her mother's standards, her 93% was a fail. That really broke my heart.

Right before this episode, I asked Elizabeth why she hadn't done her homework. All at once, everyone decided to answer on her behalf. "She didn't do her reading homework either!" "ELIZABETH GETS DETENTION!" I wanted to calm down the negativity in the room, so I thought some support from her friends would encourage Elizabeth. I merely asked, "Should Elizabeth should get detention?" (assuming that there'd be some sympathy). Without any hesitation, every student yelled YEEEEEEEES! Even her "best friend", Karen, joined the others in unison. Elizabeth was so shocked and hurt by the hate and began to bawl. I was shocked and overjoyed at the same time. Redemption.

These kids aren't university bio majors or law school applicants. They are young children who still watch cartoons and collect stickers. Somehow, this society has turned them into vicious competitors who will betray their best friends in a second. Truly every man for himself. Utterly selfish.

People like you and I have been so blessed to grow up and have an education in a place like the U.S. I seriously had no idea.


That Peterjkim guy has a really cool xanga with some awesome pictures. After seeing them Young Adult Retreat pictures, it really hit me that I'm living such a different lifestyle. It's amazing.

Thought of the Day: One month in advance.
Song of the Day: Scarface & 2pac-Smile

No comments: