October 22, 2006

when i read other's people's blogs/xangas, everyone's life sounds so boring. i guess i'm the only one in the world (along with PP) who's having an eventful life. nevertheless, eventful has its ups and downs as well.

a few nights ago, i found a really ugly green mirror in the garbage. i totally adopted it and cleaned her up to hang on my wall. now i have a mirror in my place, and the best part is that it was free! kinda reminds me of the book that i'm reading with one of my classes, "Because of Winn-Dixie."

i finally got to meet up with one of my close cousins, Nakyu. he graduated as a mechancial engineer and did all this ROTC stuff too. right now, he's doing his army duty but serving as a freakin' officer; second in command in his company or something. but we hung out last night and had a lot of fun. first off, we were feeling extra macho and masculine, so we watched

it was actually pretty enjoyable just as a handful of guys have mentioned before. but just for the record, Nakyu chose the movie; not me! then we had dinner and tore up the noraebang, 1 on 1 stylez. i love how they update their "pop songs" just like the states. anyways, my cousin has a very subtle sense of humor that cracks me up. for example,

me: (korean). i need a toothbrush.
nakyu: (korean). oh, i have one right here! i got it ready JUST for you.
me: (english) oh thank you!
nakyu: (english). don't be shy.

or

(listening to Queen's "We Will Rock You").
nakyu: oh, this is my song!
me: ?
nakyu? "we will, we will, NAK-YU!"

ahhahahahahah. whatever, you had to be there.

lately, i've been really proud of myself for never taking the wrong subway, not even once! today, i was humbled. not only did i take the wrong train, but i also waited and waited for the returning train on the wrong side. i was twenty minutes late to church today. going to my dad's place, i also overslept on the train and had to backtrack again. finally, i have a really bad habit of knocking my head into those ceiling handles just about every single time i get up to exit. i know every Korean in the car sees it happen. freakin' subways, man.

i started teaching Bible study at my church today. man, that crap was so bad. when i asked the students if anyone needed a pen, only three people rose their hand. ten minutes later, one of the helpers asked the students in Korean if anyone needed a pen. about 30 hands went up all at once. i am working with students of all kinds of levels, shapes, and sizes. Bible study was supposed to take one hour. i purposely ended it in about 35 minutes. life is tough. because church has been so unfulfilling, i started downloading sermons from City Light and Westminster. *sigh* it is so good to hear God's Word being preached again. even just listening to Pastor Dennis pray in English almost made me cry. comprehension is wonderful.

i've been here for one month and a week. it finally occurred to me that i need to chill out these days and start thinking more optimistically. everyday, i muse about my crappy Korean or lack of spiritual accountability. i have a bad habit of worrying about things that i cannot even change. i gotta see things on the brighter side and start appreciating every little experience. in a lot of ways, i feel like a stranger everywhere i go. my conversation can only go so far. i can only understand so much. i recently read in this book that Korean-Americans do not have two separate cultures; rather, we have a third culture. we are not fully accepted in the U.S. and not fully accepted in Korea. we are seen as just Koreans or mere Americans respectively. i can definitely relate to this idea. my culture conflict also reminds me of my Christian identity in a non-Christian world. although i may look, speak, and even act like a non-Christian, i know that i do not fit in here. my true home is in Heaven where i am fully accepted without a doubt. "I've never been more homesick than now."-MercyMe

random news:

-i passed my CSET. remember back in the day how i used to worry about it so much? those days are long gone now. phew!

-whenever Dinko's "Adoption Song" comes up on my ipod, i get really REALLY happy. i secretly await the day he'll send me "Adoption Song 2."

-i learned today that my dad used to call me "Gony" because that was what my brother used to call me since he couldn't pronounce my Korean name when he was really young. i freakin' never knew!

-i weighed myself at my cousin's place yesterday. i supposedly lost eight pounds since i got here.

-post offices in Korea are closed on Saturdays. that caused a great burden to my back.

-my nephew lied that he had crashed at my place a few weekends ago. i wonder what he really did that weekend.

-i played basketball with all these hyungs who were half-drunk on friday. the sad part is that my team lost to them many times.

Thought of the Day: Grandpa stories.
Song of the Day: Don McClean-Vincent

No comments: