July 14, 2003

i went fishing for the first time yesterday. billy's been going alot these days so he asked me if i wanted to come with him since he could get me on for free. seriously, my roommate gets hooked up everywhere. he got alotta stuff in his car for dirt cheap. he got hooked up with his oakley's. he got us on the fishing boat for free last night. the connections this guy has. it's great!

yesterday's fishing trip was a very interesting experience for me. i didn't know what to expect at all. what kinda boat was i going to be in? what kinda people were going to be there? was i going to catch any fish? how do you catch a fish? how long were we going to be there? at first, i was regretting that i chose to go cause i was FREAKIN' tired and i had forgotten my sweater. but really, i think it was all worth it.

we left at 6 and got back to the dock at 12. man, you have to go faaaaaaaar out into the sea to catch some fish. fortunately, i didn't get seasick at all and i had an awesome burger on the boat. there were about 15 people on the boat so it wasn't so bad. but anyways, as soon as we begin fishing...

*phone rings*
me: hello?
friend: hello phil? hey, how do you get to Guppy's?
me: oh, it's on...(my fishing line tugs).
everyone: WHAT'RE YOU DOING? PULL IT UP!
me: hey, it's on South and Pioneer.
friend: what?
everyone: HANG UP THE PHONE AND BRING YOUR FISH IN!
me: PIONEER AND SOUTH! BYE!

so i ended up catching a sandbass which is this fish that's about a foot long and weighs about 5 pounds. pretty tasty stuff. but man, that was some embarrassing stuff. you are never supposed to talk on your phone when you're fishing. haha. this old man was like, "hey, can i take a message?" haha. but man, fishing is so much fun! i thought fishing was like an old white man's hobby that required no skill or energy. (clearing throat). uh NO! fishing actually involves MUCH skill and energy. i was catching a whole gang of baracudas which go from 2 to 3 feet! they weigh 5-10 pounds, which sounds like a little but try bringing that thing up on a piece of line while it's flapping all over the water and trying to bite the hook off. seriously, if you're not conditioned like the other fishermen, you'll have sore arms the next day...like me.

today at work, my left arm was shaking if i kept at it at a certain angle. it still hurts when i try to lift stuff with it. those bastard fish! haha. but i was pretty happy with myself cause i caught like 6 or 7 fish. not bad for a newb no? haha just kidding. that isn't THAT great compared to those other guys. it was really easy catching fish cause right now is a good time to catch sandbass and baracudas...well at least where we went. you just drop your line and wait for your line to jerk from the fishbite. then you YANK that sucker and wheel her in. there was an interesting group of people last night. one young teenager who couldn't have been older than simon, a black lady, a white lady, an old man, and a whole buncha middle aged white guys. at least it wasn't just old white guys who'd bore you with their fishing stories.

but dude, you get so dirty on those boats. pieces of fish scale in your hair and on your arms, fish blood all over your boots, and your pants get pretty wet too. ok i just realized no one would be interested in hearing about my fishing experience. haha. boring ish no? let's talk about today's work yeah? so moving on...

i had a pretty bad day at work today. lots of mistakes, dumb questions, and a really bad conversation on the phone. i really don't enjoy working with my co-worker, andrea. she isn't exactly mean, but she's not the most encouraging or considerate person either. like she expects me to know everything about everything. every time i ask her a question, i always feel so discouraged and stupid cause she reacts in a way that's not really mean but i know she thinks i'm slow and stupid...which might be true but at least the others are nicer about it. oh yeah, and she acts all nice to everyone else. she's really good at korean so she has no trouble speaking to our vice president and carries comfortable conversations with the parents. argh, if they only knew!

so yeah, i had this really bad phone call today...

me: hello elite.
mother: (in korean). hi how do you get to Elite?
me: (in korean). it's on jamboree and dupont. just take a right on dupont and enter the plaza. take another right and we're on the left side.
mother: oh, is barranca before or after dupont?
me: (i get lazy with my korean so i just assume she's coming from north). it's before.
mother: ok thank you.

(calls back).
me: hello elite.
mother: (in angry english). hi can you tell me how to get to elite?
me: (in scared english). where are you coming from?
mother: irvine valley college!
me: oh, you're really far from us right now. you need to get onto jamboree.
mother: may i speak to someone who can speak korean?
me: um, i can speak korean.
mother: no, i need someone i can understand.
me: oh....can you hold on?

so bastard andrea takes the call and does a perfect job of telling the mom how to get here. and when she sees me, the mom only speaks to me in her broken english cause i appear to be some kinda stupid idiot who can't comprehend simple korean words from her. *sigh* i hate the fact that my korean sucks. it's so humbling, especially with situations like today. "no, i need someone i can understand." *tears flowing* oh yeah? well i hate you!

but at least i played alrite in ball today. i love it when i play well cause i never play well. you know, you're just having one of those days. haha. dang, i sweat a grip.

i'm in an alternative phase.

Thought of the Day: The Starting Line rocks.
Song of the Day: Blink 182-Man Overboard

No comments: