August 10, 2002

wednesday:

one of my dad's friends wanted to buy me dinner so we went to the restaurant downstairs to eat some sam-gyup-sal (fatty fat fat pork). my dad's friend is one of those funny ah-juh-shees. he talks really loud with a funny accent and likes to laugh at my stupid reactions. a nice guy who likes to talk about his childhood and how much he used to be able to eat. but omg, i have never eaten such unhealthy pork in my life! that crap was probably like 50% fat, literally. and of course, everyone took the good pieces while i was stuck with the white chewy lard. yummy. but it was yet another dinner that i appreciated, something you don't eat everyday in america.

i went to nackyu's house cause i was going to the hair salon with him the next day. he told me i could straighten my hair for 15,000 won at the place he was going. that's an amazing price compared to the regular 50,000 won and of course, approximately 70-80 dollars in America? i know it seems pretty gay, but i don't care. straight hair is almost always better than annoying wavy hair...at least for me. so we're at his house and my freakin' mom calls to tell me not to do anything to my hair. i knew this was going to come sooner or later, but today?! i know i should stop tampering with my thin hair cause it'll probably fall out someday. i went to bed deciding to just leave my hair alone.

thursday:

so after i talked with one of the hair stylists, i was convinced that there was nothing wrong with straightening my hair. after nackyu dyed his hair, we went to his church cause it was the only place that was cold. i met two of his friends, surprisingly only 15 years old! anyways, they were really interested in the american boy. the boy with the "perfect" English accent. the boy with the cool watch. the boy with a driver's license inside a wallet full of dance pictures. it was quite a funny experience:

girl: so what part of America are you from?
me: San Francisco.
girl: what? slower please?
me: san-pran-shees-co.
girl: ohhhhhhhh.

girl: wow! look at his watch! can i wear your watch? woah, it's so heavy. haha. hey, it has the days of the week, the date, and the hour of the day! hey, it glows in the dar too! look! wow, an American watch!

girl #1: wow! look at his wallet! what's a "rewards card?" hey, smell his wallet! it smells so good! hey, he has so much money!
girl #2: wow, he does have a lot of money! count how much he has! i only have 2,000 won!

i know it sounds like i'm exaggerating. but i assure you, i speak the truth and nothing but the truth. the first girl had a very interesting name. while most korean names only have 3 characters, she had 5. her name was lee ha neul gang nam (lee sky river). interesting no?

after that, i met up with simon and woong-chan and we ate at this small restaurant. dang, that place had THE BEST bibimbab! that crap was only 4,000 won! quality, quantity, and cheap. exactly what we lack in America.

friday:

so we go bowling again. samo samo. then we go to my grandmother's house again. i burn a cd with my cousin's computer and eat fried chicken for dinner.

aunt: is the chicken better in america?
me: of course!
aunt: ahaahhaahahahhaha.

we shoot some pool and we come home b/c my other aunt is sick. what's that thing called when your face is kinda crooked b/c of lack of blood flow or something? well, she had a minor attack? yesterday. it's kinda funny when you observe my uncle and aunt. my uncle is an old-fashioned korean who tries to find every reason to complain and belittle you. my aunt on the otherhand is one happy lady. she's always smiling and laughing (kinda like chris moon), quite jolly for a korean lady.

at night nackyu wanted his hair to be even redder. we got some red bleach called cherry. in the end, his hair turned into this hot pink. we didn't know what to say. shocked yet sympathetic. it was kinda funny though cause he seemed to be really happy with it, smiling like an idiot. haha. it's something you can get used to. just really awkward at first. reminds you of moon hee jun.

today:

my girl cousin wants to go to school in sweden to study Interior Design or something cause she really likes the school. she can't speak english for jack crap but she's really determined to study study study. so i helped her write her application today, translating every sentence from korean to english. ugh! after we finished, the crap didn't save and we lost the file. we started over and finished and left the pc bang 2 hours later. she was really sorry but i guess she deserved my effort. she works really hard to give me and simon a good time in korea. she takes us bowling, buys us food, cooks us food, cleans the house, watches movies with us, and even takes us shopping. the poor thing. i know she's going to be a good mother. so yeah, she deserved my stupid effort.

i found out last week that woong-chan and jung hyun are 7th Day Adventists, "christians" who go to church on saturday. it's really weird cause they're always asking me to go to church with them on saturday. it doesn't feel right and i know it's wrong. but the worst part is the fact that i don't know how to argue against it. they argue that saturday is the 7th day of the week and sunday is the first. it was supposedly always like that until Rome forced everyone to go to church on sundays. so yeah, it's kinda frustrating. the best i could do is tell them that i disagree with them. sunday is the last day, not saturday. *shrug* so it got me thinking, when IS the actual 7th day of the week? in korean, sunday is the first day-eel yo eel. help me out somebody!

i had a pretty good lunch today. i ate at this restaurant called "kim kang myun," which sells a variety of kim-bab and ramen. crap, that stuff was so good and cheap! i ate lap-pok-ki and hecka kim-bab and simon had oodong. 10,000 won!!! and of course we shot some pool afterwards.

today, i bought some cds and a bought a jersey. it's really cool bargaining with people on the streets.

me: how much is it?
guy: it's normally 32,000 won but i'll give it to you for 28,000.

nornally, i would've even bought it for 32,000 won cause it's just so freakin' cheap! i know that crap is fake, but it's all good right?

me: c'mon, can't you just give it to me for just a BIT cheaper?
guy: hmmmmm...well, since the weather is kinda bad today, i'll give it to you for 27,000 won.
me: thank you. (sucker).

it turns out that i was the real sucker. my other cousin told me that he could've gotten that crap for 5,000 won cheaper. eh, it's fine. i'm happy. that vender is happy. however, i gotta stop buying clothes now...even if it was only 2 things. i have enough clothes in america.

so you guys starting to see the trend here? my life is basically bowling, pool, pc bang, movies, food, and walking. i have less than a week left in this fantastic land. *sigh* this fantastic land.

Thought of the Day: Gotta stop spending money.
Song of the Day: That popular Koyote song.

No comments: